Faculty & Staff F.A.Q.

I received a notification letter in my email. What does it mean?

The notification letter you received informs you that the student named is registered with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) and is eligible to receive the accommodations listed in the email. Please contact the DRC if you have any questions about the accommodations or how to provide them.

The notification letter said that a student requires captions. What does this mean?

The Disability Resource Center would like to work with you to make any audiovisual materials, such as videos, in your class curriculum fully accessible. Our goal is to collaborate with you to ensure that the scope of materials used in the classroom is not limited and that every student in your course, regardless of disability, will have the same opportunities to do well. For more information regarding your responsibilities, please refer to the Accessible Media webpage and the Real-Time Captioning webpage.

These accommodations don't apply to my online class. Is there anything I need to do?

While all in-class accommodations might not apply to online classes, sometimes testing accommodations do apply, particularly extended time. Accommodations such as ergonomic seating, note taking, and more, which categorically do not apply to online classes, can be disregarded. Consult with the Disability Resource Center if you have any questions about whether an accommodation applies in an online class or how to provide an accommodation.

A student has approached me and requested accommodations but says they are not registered with the DRC. What should I do?

Please refer the student to the DRC. There are several reasons why the Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the office that determines reasonable accommodations. We encourage you to consider their request and allow all students the flexibility or arrangement they are requesting if it seems appropriate to do so.

A student requested ergonomic furniture. What do I do?

The Disability Resource Center places ergonomic furniture in classrooms for students who are registered with our office. You do not need to do anything to facilitate the student receiving this accommodation. See our Ergonomic Furniture webpage for more information.

How can I modify pop quizzes for students with testing accommodations?

There are several ways to modify pop quizzes for students who have testing accommodations. The simplest way is to have the student come to your office before class to take the quiz. If this doesn't work, consult with an Access Counselor & Consultant at the Disability Resource Center. We will work with you to find a solution that works for everyone.

How do I provide an accommodation that alters a fundamental outcome of the course?

Accommodations are not meant to alter the fundamental outcomes of the course or program. Contact the Disability Resource Center immediately to consult about how best to work with the student to ensure they have equal access.

This student is not registered for my class. Do I need to do anything?

Please disregard the Faculty Notification Letter if the student is not registered in your class. Note that the student may be waitlisted, and therefore will need accommodations if they are admitted to the class.

If you have questions about the information on this page, please contact the Disability Resource Center.

Email: drc@pdx.edu
Phone: 503-725-4150

Check our home page for hours and Virtual Front Desk for more information.