24/7 Emergency Number
This number will route to an Education Abroad staff member.
6-8 weeks prior to departure
- Review the PSU Education Abroad Emergency Management Handbook before departure and have an electronic or hard copy accessible at all times while abroad.
- Review the Crisis Management Plan from your in-country partner and use this to create a program-specific plan that is uploaded to VikingsAbroad
- Hold Pre-Departure sessions with your students and Education Abroad. During these mandatory sessions, Program Leaders are expected to share this plan with students & ensure students have a copy of completed Emergency Contact cards while abroad. Some program leaders fill out the Emergency Cards and have them laminated for their students.
2-4 weeks prior to departure
- Review the State Department Website.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- Establish a means of communicating with your group while abroad.
- Notify the Education Abroad office you and your students have arrived safely.
- Notify the Faculty-Led Coordinator of any major incidents
- If you are traveling as a group: monitor students' progress through customs & immigration.
- Obtain or activate your international phone, share this number with your students, Ed Abroad Team, and provider
- Be aware of student travel on non-programmed days. Set an expectation that students are not traveling alone & that they notify you of plans
- Require students to travel in groups of two or more
- Require students to arrange to have a working phone
- Institute a Program Curfew
- Avoid high risk activities
- Stay informed about events in your host country/region
- Sign up for New York Times news alerts
- Avoid any and all street demonstrations, even if they appear peaceful
The Clery Act & Title IX Reporting
Both the Clery Act and Title IX apply to PSU programs operating off-campus. Program Leaders are considered “responsible employees” & “campus security authority” and must report a violation of either The Clery Act & Title IX. Anything that occurs involving PSU students or staff is treated as an extension of the PSU campus & should be reported via the appropriate channels. Questions? Read more about Title IX at PSU here.