Principal License plus Course of Study
Principal License plus Master's Degree
Course of Study
Principal License plus Master's Degree Curriculum
The program requires the completion of at least 56 credits. This includes:
- Professional Studies Master's Core (16 credits)
- Principal License Cohort (40 credits)
Principal License plus Master's Degree Program of Study
Professional Studies Master's Core (16 credits required)
Professional Studies Master's Core courses may be completed prior to, during, or following the Principal License cohort coursework. Professional Studies Master's core courses are offered every term. Please note that you will not be eligible to be licensed until the master's degree has been awarded and appears on your transcript.
- ELP 511 Principles of Educational Research and Data Analysis I (4)
- ELP 520 Developmental Perspectives on Adult Learning (4)
- ELP 551 Social Foundations of Education (4) OR ELP 554 Philosophy of Education (4)
- ELP 568 Educational Organization and Administration (4)
Principal License Cohort (28 credits)
Please visit the Principal License Course of Study for an example programs of study for the cohort coursework. Principal License cohort coursework begins each Spring term and continues through the following spring term.
It may be possible to substitute Master's core courses taken at another institution. The student must submit a Petition for Course Substitution, indicate which course is comparable, and provide either a syllabus or catalog description of the course taken. Courses must not have been used towards any other degree. Courses with grades lower than a “B” and those graded as “Pass/No Pass” are not eligible.
Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in good academic standing.
Any course graded M (Missing) can be changed to a letter grade within one term. If the M is not changed to a grade after one term, it will become an X (No Basis for Grade), which cannot be changed to a grade at a future time. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their grades after each term and contact the instructor if there is an inconsistency.
No credits over 7 years old at the time of graduation can be counted toward a degree.
Candidates seeking recommendation from PSU for the Preliminary Administrator License must:
- Possess a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Have completed the Principal License program at Portland State University
- Have completed three years of successful licensed teaching or personnel service experience in public schools or regionally accredited private schools at the time of application for the administrative license
- Apply for the Preliminary Administrator License within 1 year of completing the IAL program. Currency of your coursework is a consideration by TSPC in granting licensure. Contact the College of Education Licensure Office.
- Hold a valid first aid card and demonstrate knowledge of Oregon and federal anti-discrimination statutes.