- 12 credits for a certificate of completion or 24 credits for an endorsement
- One year
- Flexible scheduling and delivery options
- Can be completed fully online
Are you a licensed PreK-12 teacher who wants to develop literacy instructional practices for all learners? ReadOregon is fully online and integrates research, emerging technologies, and best practices for reading and writing across all courses. Earn a literacy endorsement or certificate of completion!
- Acquire a deeper understanding of literacy theories and research
- Learn methods for using emerging technologies to support students’ reading and writing development
- Earn credentials that can be used to advance your career
- Receive a salary increase if you complete the ReadOregon program as part of the MA/MS degree
- Effectively prepare your students for academic, career, and life success
- Can be fully completed online
- Offers multiple course tracks and flexible scheduling options
- Includes a 24-credit endorsement track and a 12-credit certificate of completion track
- You have up to seven years to complete the ReadOregon program. Courses older than seven years will not be counted.
- Admits every term.
About the program
If you are a licensed teacher, the ReadOregon program offers you an opportunity to earn a reading endorsement that can be added to your current Oregon teaching license or a 12-credit reading certificate of completion that can be added to your resume. All courses are available online, so you can complete the program without ever having to set foot on campus! Since courses are aligned to the International Literacy Association’s most recent standards and integrate emerging technologies designed for PreK-12 classrooms, the ReadOregon curriculum is steeped in strategies, research, and tools that you can apply immediately to your instruction in all grade levels and content areas.
The practicum course of weekly modules is a 90-hour experience where you will implement your learning in an actual classroom. Demonstrate your knowledge of literacy through your instruction and by creating a digital portfolio. At different points in the practicum, your university supervisor will visit with you, observe a lesson, and provide feedback, all done virtually. Since the portfolio is embedded within the weekly modules and each module revisits one of ReadOregon’s main themes, you will complete the portfolio by identifying an artifact related to each theme and explain its connection.
By design, the ReadOregon program offers you a rich professional development opportunity in literacy instruction, assessment, research, and theory. You may transfer up to two 3-credit courses to substitute for ReadOregon courses, pending the Program Coordinator’s approval. To support your progression through the program, you may choose from two tracks of course offerings, thus resulting in two ReadOregon courses being available each term. Though there is no requirement to complete the courses in sequential order, it is highly suggested that you complete them in that way because the themes are designed to build on each other as a lead-up to the practicum.
Advance your career, build practical skills for the classroom, and enrich your knowledge of reading, literacy, and learning. As a graduate of ReadOregon, you will be qualified to become a reading specialist, literacy coach, consultant, and district-level reading and language arts coordinator.
Portland State University’s College of Education is uniquely qualified to offer the ReadOregon program, as it is accredited through both the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation and the state’s Teacher and Standards Practices Commission. All instructors have graduate degrees and practical experience that they use in their instruction, making the learning opportunities they provide relevant and authentic. Their deep commitment to equity, diversity, cultural competence, and inclusivity results in a high-quality program that uses practical technologies, constructivist teaching methods, and caring approaches to deliver a professional development experience suited to your needs.