School Counseling Licensure-Only Admissions

School Counseling Licensure-Only


The licensure-only program is designed to help already licensed counselors, therapists, and social workers move into the school system. To be eligible for this program, you must already hold a master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology, which included a clinical practicum.


The school counseling licensure program admits for the summer, fall, or winter terms. Applications open in the fall of each year and are due by the following deadlines:

  • Summer: June 1st
  • Fall: August 1st
  • Winter: December 1st

We review applications holistically to determine applicants’ potential to succeed in the program and as counselors.


Applicants must upload to the online application:

  • Statement of purpose—directions can be found within the online application on the ‘Program materials’ tab
  • Unofficial transcripts—applicants must include unofficial transcripts from all institutions previously attended
    • Acceptable unofficial transcripts are:
      • Web-based transcripts downloaded from an institution: institution and student name must be visible on transcripts
      • Photocopies of official transcripts: these must include the front and back of all pages, including transcript key
  • Previous applicants: If you’ve previously submitted official transcripts to PSU, you are still required to upload unofficial transcripts to complete your application.
  • International applicants: Please review the requirements listed on the Graduate School's website.
  • After you are admitted, you must submit official transcripts to:
    • Graduate Admissions
      Portland State University
      PO Box 751 (Graduate School)
      Portland, OR 97207-0751
      Electronic official transcripts should be sent to
  • Resume—applicants are asked to upload a resume on the ‘Employment’ tab that demonstrates their prior work and volunteer experience, as related to the field of counseling.
  • Two letters of recommendation—applicants will enter contact information for two references on the ‘Letters of Recommendation’ tab. We will send those references a request to complete a form on the applicant’s behalf.
  • English Language Proficiency—applicants who are non-native English speakers and who do not hold a degree from the U.S., Australia, English-speaking Canada, Great Britain, Ireland or New Zealand must submit valid proof of proficiency. Please visit the Graduate School to learn more about your options for proving proficiency.