The NIH BUILD initiative is designed for students interested in pursuing "biomedical" research careers. For BUILD EXITO we define "biomedical" as health-related disciplines which prepare students to find the answers to health-related issues in our communities, such as (but not limited to):
- Basic Biomedical: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Neuroscience, Nutritional Science, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Endocrinology, Immunology, etc.
- Clinical Sciences: Health Sciences, Health Administration, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, Public Health, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Exercise Science, etc.
- Behavioral & Social Sciences: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Audiology/Speech Pathology, Population Studies, Gerontology, etc.
- Other Life Sciences: Environmental Life Sciences, Agricultural & Food Sciences, etc.
- Other Health-Related STEM Disciplines: Mathematics, Physics, Engineering and Computer Science as they relate to health research. For example students in STEM majors might pursue research careers in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Bioengineering, Bioimaging, etc.