Get Involved. Build Community.
Don’t wait another second! Check out one of the many events and activities available to you simply because you live in the residence halls. If you are interested in making new friends and building your community at Portland State, look no further, we’ve got you covered.
The Residential Leadership & Engagement Center (ReLEC) is a pioneering endeavor to centralize our efforts around student engagement within the residence halls at Portland State University. Using University Housing & Residence Life’s mission of student success and engagement as a guide, we have designed engaging opportunities around leadership, civic engagement, and community development in order to create a sense of belonging and to enhance the student experience within our residential communities.
ReLEC is a place for people to come together, learn from one another, and find connection within the larger residential community.
In our space you will find:
- A lounge for residents to socialize in
- Student led organizations like the Residence Hall Association (RHA), Building Ambassadors, and the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
- Student leaders who can help you get connected to co-curricular activities on campus
- Resources for building leadership skills
- Regularly scheduled social events and off campus excursions
- Free coffee/tea
- A community of engaged Portland State students, leaders, and staff
- Smart classroom technology for events and large student group meetings
Building Your Community.
Developing a community of people that support and engage with you has never been easier. We have numerous ways in which you can meet new people, build upon existing relationships, and fearlessly embark on your leadership journey in a global community. Here are a select few ways in which you can connect with us.
- UHRL has two student-led organizations: The Residence Hall Association (RHA), which includes our various hall/area councils, and the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Viking Chapter. RHA is your residence hall government and focuses on student advocacy and social engagement while NRHH is a leadership based honorary focused on community service and recognition. You can learn more about and join these organizations by going to the RHA & NRHH webpage.
- During Viking Days, we host an Annual Open House for new and returning students. This is a resource fair with free breakfast food and coffee/tea. This event is a chance to engage with our student organizations and learn more about how you can get involved on campus.
- VikNights is our night and weekend events initiative that offers you the chance to get out into the Portland Metro and experience “must-do” activities in the city. Previous excursions have included going to professional sporting events, viewing blockbuster movies, and going to the coast or Multnomah Falls. All of these events are free or at a reduced cost. You can sign up for an event through the Housing Portal.
- We also offer a variety of civic engagement related activities that focus on tangible ways you can get involved in the community.
- We have weekly events designed with social interaction in mind. This regular series of activities range from board games to field games to open mic nights. With these events you can leave the stressors of being a student behind and simply connect with your peers in a purely fun way.