Final Grade Entry
The new final grade entry interface allows instructors of record to enter grades one-by-one for for each student, or import final grades for multiple students with a specifically formatted spreadsheet.
To enter final grades in the new interface, select “New Final Grades” in the Faculty Services tab of Banweb.
The main page will display all CRNs assigned to an instructor in the current term:
To enter individual grades:
- Click the row associated with the appropriate course to display the list of students registered for the course on the bottom half of the screen
- Select a student from the list
- Choose a grade from drop down menu
- Indicate the Last Date of Attendance (LDA) if you assign an F, NP or X grade
- Select Save when done
Grade mode List of Values
If the student has selected the A-F grade mode, you will see the following list of available grades:
A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, I, and X
If the student has selected the Pass/No-Pass grade mode, you will see the following list of available grades:
P, I, NP, and X
If your course is set up with the option of In-Progress grading, you will see the following list of available grades:
A, A-, B+, B, B-, P, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, I, IP, NP, and X
If your course is set up as In-Progress only (like Thesis or Dissertation) you will see the message “Not Gradable”:
If you assign an F, NP or X grade, you must indicate the Last Date of Attendance (LDA).
NOTE: If any error messages are displayed (most likely the required Last Date of Attendance for F, X, or NP grades), make sure to fix the issue before saving.
To import a final grade list you must either export a file to use as a template for the import, or you must configure an existing excel file with the necessary columns and data to map during the import process.
Export a template
- Select a CRN
- Select the gear icon on the top right
- Select ‘Export Template’
- Select an excel file type and click ‘Export’
- A file will be downloaded and will display on the bottom left side of your screen
- Open the excel spreadsheet, and remove the following columns from the export spreadsheet as these fields aren’t needed: Rolled, Confidential, Incomplete Final Grade, Extension Date, Extension Date Constraints
- Use the Final Grades and Last Attended Date to input grades and last date of attendance for certain grades. If you assign an F, NP or X grade, you must indicate the Last Date of Attendance (LDA)
- Once you have entered each student’s grade, save this spreadsheet to be used in the import step
Configure an existing excel document
If you have an existing spreadsheet (.xls, .xlsx) with your student’s grades, you must configure your spreadsheet to include the following columns and column headers:
- Term Code: Must be in the 6-digit term convention YYYYXX where YYYY is the calendar year and XX is the term code: 01=winter, 02=spring, 03=summer, 04=fall
- CRN: 5-digit Course Reference Number
- Full Name: Student’s full name in Last Name, First Name format
- Student ID: Student’s 9-digit student identification number
- Final Grade: Must be from this list, and congruent with the selected grade option mode: A, A-, B+, B, B-, P, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, I, IP, NP, and X
- Last Attended Date: If you assign an F, NP or X grade, you must indicate the Last Date of Attendance (LDA), and must be in MM/DD/YYYY format
Import excel document
- Select the course/CRN
- Select the gear icon on the top right
- Select 'Import' from the menu
- An import window will be displayed
- Select the file you want to import
- Select ‘Upload’
- Click ‘Continue
- A step-by-step import wizard will walk you through the mapping process
- You will see a preview of your spreadsheet
- Select ‘Continue’ to move through the mapping
- You can ‘Go Back’ or ‘Cancel’ at any time during the process
- Map your Column Headers
- Select ‘Continue’ to move to the validation step
- Once validation is done, a summary will be displayed that will confirm the number of records which will be imported or not imported due to errors - unchanged error records will not be imported
- Download the validation report before selecting ‘Continue’
- It is important that you address any records that were not updated due to errors
- The last window of the import wizard will display the number of records that were successfully imported, and is your last chance to download the validation report (if records in error still exist)
- Select ‘Finish’ to complete the process
- Last Attended Date is required for NP, X or F grades. The LDA date should be within the course section dates and in correct format MM/DD/YYYY. LDA cannot be a future date.
- All rows in the spreadsheet will be examined and validated during the import. Blank or unchanged data in the spreadsheet will not be imported.
- To remove or change a grade or LDA, you must return to the individual grade entry process.
- When an imported file contains many records, the import process may take some time to complete. While it is working, the import wizard page turns dark and a white spinning icon is displayed. To avoid interruping the process, let this process run without clicking any buttons.
- Select ‘Cancel’ if you want to stop the import before it is complete
- Recommendation: If you are making corrections and re-importing corrected spreadsheets, rename each file differently to keep track of data changes.