School Social Work Licensure

Preliminary School Social Work Licensure Overview

The Preliminary School Social Work License is designed for students who wish to pursue work as a social worker in schools upon graduation from the MSW program.

Watch the SSWL info video » 

Preliminary School Social Work Licensure Process for MSW Students

1. Complete an Intent to Enroll Form

Students must complete an Intent to Enroll as soon as they enroll in the MSW program. Note: Health Across the Lifespan (HAL) and Advanced Standing students will be considered eligible for SSWL on a case-by-case basis.

Complete Intent to enroll form »

2. Complete Field Requirements

Students must complete one year of field in a K-12 school setting (at least 75% of the placement must be completed in a school building) and one year in a community-based agency serving children, youth and families (at least 75% of the placement must focus on direct practice with and/or on behalf of children, youth and families). In addition, 15 direct practice hours with each group: 3-8, 9-14, and 15-18 must be completed over the span of the two field placements.

Download requirements checklist (PDF) »

Note: Students must complete a background check/ fingerprints with TSPC prior to their Generalist placement. The cost for this background check will fall on the student to cover unless their school/agency is able to cover the cost.

Download fingerprinting pointers (PDF) »

Complete a TSPC fingerprint and background check »

3. Complete SSWL Required Electives

  • SW 563 Social Work with Children, Adolescents, and Families (for only PLCO, Clinical and HAL students)
  • SW 564 Social Work in Schools
  • ELP 581 US and Oregon School Law and Policy

4. Attend Advising/Info Session

Students must attend an advising/info session in fall term.

View SSW Events Calendar »

5. Submit a SSWL Application Packet

Students must submit a well-organized application packet in the finals week of the spring term of their advanced year that includes:

  • Personal Assessment Questionnaire
  • Field Evaluation Forms
  • Verification forms for SSWL Field Requirements
  • Resume
  • A copy of MSW transcripts or DARS report
  • A completed course checklist of your concentration
  • Approved SSWL Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Narrative

After your Application Packet is approved, you will proceed with your licensure application through the College of Education Licensure Program Office.

For more information contact »

Licensure Process for Community Members (Verification of Equivalency)

We provide support for community members working as MSW's in schools or who have past social work experience working in schools to access the licensure process with TSPC. The Verification of Equivalency (VOE) process requires very specific steps and documentation, including submitting a portfolio and showing equivalent coursework and professional experience in schools. If you currently hold a School Social Work License (or equivalent certification) from another state, you can apply for your Oregon license directly through TSPC.

1. Complete a VOE Application

Download VOE instructions (PDF) »

Download VOE application (PDF) »

View course descriptions (PDF) »

2. Submit the completed VOE Application

Submit your application packet and supporting documents in one pdf file to VOE applications are reviewed by School Social Work Licensure Consortium on a quarterly basis.

Submit application packet »

While your VOE application is being reviewed by the SSWL Consortium, complete the next steps:

3. Complete a Civil Rights Exam

Complete a Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam (Civil Rights exam) and obtain a photocopy of the official score report.

Take the Civil Rights exam »

4. Complete a Background Check

Complete a TSPC fingerprint and background check »

After your VOE application has been approved by the SSWL Consortium, complete the next steps:

5. Submit Final Packet

Submit an online license request form and make the payment to the College of Education (COE), and submit the processing fees to COE and send official copies of your transcripts to TSPC.

View VOE checklist (PDF) » 

Submit your licensure application packet to the College of Education Licensure Office »

Complete online license request form »

Contact »
School Social Work Licensure

Mathew Uretsky, Ph.D., MSW, MPH »
Assistant Professor and School Social Work Licensure Faculty Lead
(503) 725-5374

Thet Mar Win, M.Ed. »
Administration Specialist
MSW and Ph.D. Programs
(503) 725-8065