What We Do
Student Legal Services provides FREE legal help to current PSU students. Our team of attorneys offers consultations and representation on many legal topics. Below are some of the legal matters we can assist with. This list is not exhaustive-- If you have a legal matter that is not listed here, and you are not sure if we can help, fill in our intake form and we will let you know!
Along with legal consultations, SLS also offers a variety of educational programs to help support students interested in legal careers. Learn about our educational programs.
Legal matters we help with
All Portland State University students who are paying student fees and currently enrolled at P.S.U. are eligible.
To get help over the summer term students need to be either:
- Registered for summer term classes or
- Have taken spring term classes and already registered for fall term classes
WHO WE CAN'T HELP
Student Legal Services cannot provide legal assistance or advice in the following cases:
- Student vs. Student (Please visit the Dean of Student Life office for assistance.)
- Student vs. P.S.U. Administration (Please visit the Equity and Compliance office for assistance.)
- Student vs. P.S.U. faculty or staff (Please visit the Equity and Compliance office for assistance.)
- P.S.U. staff members (even if taking classes under their benefits packages because they do not pay student fees)
- P.C.C. co-enrolled students not paying P.S.U. student fees
- Students not registered for the current term
- Students with an issue that may involve a conflict under the professional ethics rules applicable to attorneys
Do not hesitate to contact our office to determine your eligibility for services or see if we can provide an appropriate referral.
At this time, SLS is not able to assist with the following matters:
- Business Law
- Estate Planning & Wills
- Intellectual Property and Patent Law
- On Campus Housing Disputes
- Tax Law
- Workers Compensation
Other SLS Services:
Notary Hours: Student Legal Services offers drop-in Notary services during select hours. At this time, due to building closures, our Notary Services are on hold. If you are seeking help from a Notary, you may consider going to your personal bank, or nearest UPS store.